Friday, September 26, 2008

Six Degrees

I know... I "owe" my loyal fans an update, and I promise I will get there. I have been in town a month and at my job that long and things are going well. I am doing much better, but I will update later. But today it's time for a story.

My sister is an English teacher in a school district just outside St. Louis. She did her typical first day introductions, and a student came up the next day and said, "I told my mom all about you, and she said you reminded her of an English teacher she had who influenced her life." The mom asked her daughter her teacher's name, and she said, "Miss B." And the mom said, "Well, that's too much of a coincidence. MY English teacher's name was Miss B and she sounds just like your English teacher. Does she have red hair?" And her daughter said, "No, she has gray hair, but I'll ask if they're related."

The mother went to another room and pulled out a folded paper with a poem written by her English teacher and given to her 27 years ago when she was freshman . The poetic note applauded her on her writing talent and praised her singing talent, too. She said, "Take this to your English teacher and ask her if she is related to MY Miss B." The next day the student came up to my sister and said, "Here is a poem my mom's English teacher wrote to her when she was in 9th grade. Do you think you could be related to this Miss B?" My sister took one look at the worn handwritten piece of paper and said, "I definitely am related to THIS poet." And the student said, "How do you know?" And my sister said, "Because I recognize my sister's handwriting."

I couldn’t believe this woman had kept something I wrote all these year. Ya just never know. When my sister eventually found out the mother's name (damn lost identity due to name change at marriage), I barely recognized the name. I had over 140 freshmen a year and some stood out for good and bad reasons. I remember she had black hair and a beautiful voice (which was part of the subject of the poem from what my sister told me). But I made an indelible impression on her. And we should remember that.

Six degrees of separation. Does that give you goosebumps? Well, it gave me goosebumps and tears. That story made me feel that I, indeed, made a difference in someone's life. I needed that at this point in my life and thought I would share that with you. And it’s not really about me. I just find the world, and all of its smallness, remarkable.

I bet all of us have a "six degrees of separation" story that brings us goosebumps. I have several, but this may be one my favorites.

Back later with a real update.

3 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger gbchange said...

It is amazing the impact we can have on one another. I'm glad to hear that you are well and Life is sending you good messages.

Gayle

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger justme said...

Oh WOW.....that is SUCH a fab story hun! Totally affirming....and just GREAT! Yay for you!!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

that's one of those Reader's Digest moments!!!
Miss you.
Pam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home