Thursday, May 08, 2008

Wanted: One single man with benefits

And not those kinds of benefits. Not friends with benefits. Nope, not those. I mean health care benefits.

First, I interviewed with my current organization on the affiliate in St. Louis. There is an educator position available, but they are turning it into 2 part time positions. You wonder why? Wonder no more. You don't have to pay part time people benefits. When I raised the concern yesterday (as in , don't bother interviewing me if you can't offer me benefits) the HR person said we could discuss more during the phone interview. What she meant was "Are you willing to help us out PRN until you get full time work?" Bull shit.

So I drove off to St. Louis, had lunch with 2 former work friends from my publishing days and got 2 books I worked on for my interview. Hated driving in the big city again after 18 months of small college town driving. Found the place for the interview. I was great. She loved me. I was about to meet the CEO when she said, "Oh, by the way, we offer a retirement plan but no healthcare benefits. Is that a deal breaker?" WHAT??? Are you kidding me??? I said, "Yes, it's a deal breaker." She said, "Well, I heard you say 'divorce' and thought it might be," and I wanted to say, "Did you think my ex had benefits when we were married??? Because he never had a job with bennies. It was all me!" I gathered my things, and she apologized for having me drive in all this way for the interview. She did ask if I had looked into obtaining health care benefits on my own, and I told her that was a bust when I was unemployed (and freelancing) years ago because I have pre-existing conditions. I mentioned high cholesterol but did not mention depression so she wouldn't think I would come back and go "postal" on her. "Maybe," she said, "I should have mentioned this earlier?" Do ya think???? I was furious. One vacation day and 2 tanks of gas later and this is the sign of the times. I am still fuming. I know it's the beginning of my job search and that the job sounded boring, but damn it, what do they expect in this day and age???

So if you know of any single men out there with great benefits, let me know. Will marry for insurance.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 12:30 AM, Blogger chez bez said...

Meanwhile I feel tied to a job that I don't like solely because of its good health benefits.

Something's gotta give.

Sorry for your wasted day.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That sucks. That really sucks. You know, I see signs nailed to the telephone poles: AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE may that could help you.

Have you thought about Canada?

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Marianna said...

I won't accept a job unless it has benefits. Rule breaker for me too. I don't have immediate future plans on being dependent on a man, so I must have my own benefits!

M~

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Ronjazz said...

These days, the experience of jobhunting is maddening! You stick to your guns, honey. Keep looking. You will get there in good time...:)

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always ask prospective employers to e-mail you a written job/benefits description BEFORE the interview. If they can't do that, you know something's wrong.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Redhead Editor said...

They listed "benefits" in the ad. Next time I will be more specific when I ask about what kind of benefits. Truth in advertising!

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right -- unfortunately, in today's job market, the word "benefits" in a job ad doesn't necessarily mean health insurance, disability, retirement, etc. It might simply mean flex-time. Screw these employers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home