Friday, December 22, 2006

The Day the Laughter Stopped

I knew it was coming. It just couldn't last forever.

I arrived back "home" today, and, as usual, it's weird, but I decided to stay here (in the basement) because we have much to do around the house in the 4 days I'm here. Why waste it with driving back and forth between this house and my sister's house? Oldest kid came home yesterday and called me 100 times from the grocery store because she was buying groceries for her dad cuz there was no food in the house. So now the STBX wants to redo the wood floors to help sell the house (even though he would never have considered redoing them while we lived here, but that's another post). So the garage is full with crap in preparation for this alleged refinishing.

He borrowed my car to take things to Goodwill and starts to put some furniture in it that I had not "sanctioned" for giving away. I went ballistic. He now thinks I don't have a say in anything because I walked away. I explained that the house was HALF mine and the furniture was HALF mine and so was all the crap. He, at least, could consult me before giving stuff away. Especially MY stuff. We were screaming in the garage like we have never done before. So much for the laughter at Thanksgiving time. He said that since I had decided FOR him that we were getting divorced that I didn't get any say. Ohhh, back up the train, Buster. I lost it and told him that I had been telling him for years, but he just CHOSE to hear it the day I mentioned "divorce." He said, "I knew you were going to say that."

Glad he can read my mind NOW.

Wedding anniversary is next week. We haven't celebrated since 1992, basically. No dinner, no cards, no gifts. But for some reason, I am very maudlin about it. I get teary every time I hear Greensleeves. Yep, a Christmas wedding with Christmas music. Damn it.

This year's Christmas will be memorable. Go down in history memorable. Sucky memorable. Watching my furniture be sent to Goodwill memorable. Screaming in the garage memorable. Ahhh, but there's cheezy potatoes! Life is good! Merry friggin' Christmas to us all.

It'll be ok. Really. Keep filling my stocking. I love you all.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Bob said...

Hang in there. Like a bad meal in a Mexican restaurant, all things must pass. Most of us have experienced "training marriages" that in retrospect were practice for the "keeper marriage", the love of our lives. Most of us look at our first marriages and wonder why the hell we chose a person who was so oppositional to everything we believed and loved in this life. You'll laugh again. You'll love again. Best of all, you'll never look back on the decision to end this marriage. But you will ask yourself why you waited so long to end a relationship that was never meant to be. The best is yet to come. I promise.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, what Bob said.

I could be worse. Not sure how...but it could be.

♥Pam

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Marianna said...

Ugh. Man, you just brought back some memories.

Merry Christmas, Ellen. I hope the new year brings us all a new life.

M~

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger ~grey said...

Merry Christmas My Friend!!!

***HUGS***

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Like a bad meal in a Mexican restaurant?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I love it!!!

Do not worry, my dear. Maybe he needed to scream. Maybe you needed to scream. Dude, I totally need to scream. Or get reeeeeally reeeeeeally smashed. In fact...know what? I am so breaking out the liquor tonight!

I'll email you tomorrow, sistah. All this nonsense aside,

Merry Christmas!
~L.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Haleigh Anne said...

Sounds like some of my Christmas memories. I moved out on my mom one Christmas. ::Sigh:: Sometimes the holidays really suck. Sometimes they are awesome. Sorry this one really bit the big one.

I "gave" you a big squishy hammer so you can beat the HELL out of everything in site. Hope it helps. :)

As always, I am sending good vibes, thoughts and hugs your way. (I really do this every so often.) Merry Christmas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home