Monday, October 16, 2006

I'm coming out so we better get this party started...

And by “coming out,” I mean moving on.

My STBX husband asked when I was moving out on Saturday. I assumed it was so he could be out of there and not watch the painful move. But instead, he never flinched. Never cowered. And actually helped me load the car. To all you out there with shits for husbands, please take note. You can hold your head up with dignity and be a kind person even when your heart is breaking. I so want to honor and respect that.

So my sisters gathered at my house on Saturday for the big move. I was, for the most part, ready with everything except the hanging clothes, of course. I had promised my Hub that I would iron some shirts for him (for interviews) weeks ago and had not gotten to it. So while I threw my last-minute sweatshirts and sweaters into a garbage bags, my one of sisters ironed about 6 shirts for him. And then away we went. Do you hug your spouse of 27 years as they are leaving? Yah, it was a little “awk,” as the kids would say. But I thought a quick get-away would be best. Or so I thought. My sister misplaced her keys (by the ironing board when she offered, at first, to iron) and it took us 30 minutes to locate the keys. Of course, she was parked behind me so I couldn’t even back out and tell her I’d meet her later down the highway. Yes, we looked like the Keystone Cops. We eventually found the keys, had another “should we hug” moment, but in the end, there was just waving out the window and away we went.

My one sister road with me, and we had a wonderful talk. The three of us met up 30 minutes outside our destination for a Big Mac at McDonalds. My healthy, practically vegetarian (except at Thanksgiving), work-out-all-the-time sister had been “jonesing” for a Big Mac in a big way. And since her husband had a heart attack 18 months ago, we can’t even say the "M" word (McDonlas, you goof balls) in her house. So it was funny that we found ourselves eating Big Macs that day. We got to my new house, and my tiny muscular sister carried the same heavy tubs in that my hub had carried to the car. Of course, she did so with a “you shouldn’t pack more than you can carry” look on her face. Ok, I get it. That same sister who did not attend this very Big 12 university was pleased she got a hotel room as late as last Wednesday and remarked that there was no football game this Saturday. I reminded her that she got a room because there was no football game this weekend. As we were about to leave to go to their hotel, my sister (the one who had misplaced her keys) realized that she had left her suitcase at home and, therefore, did not have her swimming suit for the hot tub. Ahh, that’s ok. She can sit next to us and watch. I take the sisters to the hotel to check in where my very together sister realizes that she has forgotten her bathing suit. And it hits us: I was more together than they were. Scary thought, huh?

So we went shopping and then picked up my daughters, first checking out the respective apartment and dorm room, both of which were cleaned for the aunts’ “inspection.” Off to dinner. Dropped the older daughter off because she opted not to go to the musical and the 3 of us were in our seats for George M! by 7:30. Can I just say my daughter did a great job on spotlight? As for the musical, can I just say my daughter did a great job on spotlight? (Who sings “It’s a Grand Old Flag” at that pace?) Dropped sisters off at hotel and back to my new home by 11.

After months of barely sleeping, I slept until 10 the next morning. It was glorious. My daughter called and wanted me to meet her at a coffee (I don’t do coffee) shop for tea and help with grading papers. I was able to test out the internet on my new laptop. But I was just basking in the fact that she called me. A friend from St. Louis was in town and called around 4 to meet me for dinner. Hope that happens a lot. My roommate is not home until tonight so I have the place to myself with 2 old dogs and a sweet kitty. (And by kitty, I mean cat.) Just me and the girls.

Doin’ great!

12 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Blogger Leesa said...

Moving is always so exciting isn't it?? Still sounds like a great time :)

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Marianna said...

I'm glad this was relatively painless for you. I've been thinking about you!

M~

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats....on all that you have accomplished.

I'm sure he may not be showing you what is going on inside him...he may not be in touch with it yet. But he's still a good guy. Who knows...maybe what he needs is a wake up call and you need a big break. Then again....
S'all I got doll. Just rolled in the door.
♥Pam

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Nature Girl said...

Sounds like it's all going smoothyly. I'm glad for that! Have a good week. Stacie

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Osbasso said...

Glad to hear things went smoothly. Now good luck!!

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Shephard said...

Very glad to hear you striking out on your own so decisively and strongly. You deserve this and more.
:)
~S

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Haleigh Anne said...

I've been wondering how you were doing. Sounds like things are smooth. I'm glad.

Your sisters sound like quite the characters. I'm sure it was nice to have their help and support.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Wow. I can't even imagine things like this! I know it sucks and it is going to feel very weird for awhile, but it WILL get better.
Could you see me ironing Mike's shirts? Whoops burnt a hole in that one...yeah, started that other one clear on fire. Yeah..burned...burned..burned...yep. THat last one? Burned it, too.

So sorry.
Ha!
Ok..I wouldn't really burn his shirts, but I wouldn't be ironing them in the first place. I'm not good enough for that you know..ha!!!
~L.

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Pilot Mom said...

I tried to comment yesterday and it disappeared in cyber space. *shrugs*

I'm glad you are settled. It sounds like you had a ton of fun. I'm glad.

And, thanks for the card! Totally unexpected but much appreciated! :) And, yes, I am praying for you and your family! Count on it!

You were a riot here. Jim and I are still laughing (along) with you and Pam!

Come see us anytime...no preceeding announcement needed! Just drop in!

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Once you said "Keystone Cops" I put the soundtrack in my head while readin g the rest of the post... and it worked.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Redhead Editor said...

Ok, now I'm really worried about you, Planet3rry. You have the Keystone Cops music in your head?

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

Sounds like you really handled the situation perfectly! It could have been much more difficult, but it sounds like everyone acted like "grown ups." Good for you!!
And it sounds like you are really excited about this new phase in your life. Good luck!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home