Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The vacation of a lifetime

Words escape me now as I try to collect my thoughts from the past week. Have you ever fulfilled a dream you didn't even know you had. I mean, sure we all dream of meeting Leesa, but whoever thought I would ever get to Montana? How did she and Pam know I needed this week so badly? The timing was impeccable. The surroundings ideal, almost surreal. Well, they didn't know back in the summer that I would have needed such time for reflection in October. But I did. And when you're surrounded by animals who need you for sustenance and a dear friend for good laughs, it's the perfect "cure" for what ails ya.

When Brock greeted us on our first night, he jumped up and pawed at us as if to hug us. Of course, we told him "down," and he never did it again. That is, until the day we were leaving. It was as if he was hoping he could keep us around if he just held us there with his furry hugs. And Taylor was jumping on the couch to be held. One more hug, she begged.
Otis, King of the Porch, who keeps most creatures in line and off his domain, meowed for me to come see him on his throne and let me pet him. That had not happened all week. And if I talk about saying good bye to Spaz, I shall begin to weep. Each pet had the biggest heart and showered me with healing love all week. Well, except Trout who merely showered us with mischief. Pure, unadulterated little boy mischief. Did you know a kitten can swing from a fishnet used as decoration on the wall?

And what can I say about that hot tub? I know that if I lived up there alone, I would start to lift weights so I could lift the cover off the thing by myself. Or, as Pam reminded me, I would figure out how to sit in there with half the cover on, the other half off, as I peered from water. I think I found God in that hot tub, but it could have been the wine (and later the Mike's Hard Lemonade).

The drive home was truly breath taking with each state taking on its own character. From the top (apparently that's north) of Montana to the bottom (south), through Idaho into Utah and through Colorado, the "purple mountains majesty" illuminated the Big Sky. I missed my reds and oranges from Missouri trees, but these states have a beauty that is indescribable. I actually started to giggle as it snowed (yep, you read that right) through Colorado. I mean, I know they make their living in the ski resorts, but the beauty of the snow as it landed on the evergreens was breath taking. We couldn't have asked for better weather or a more beautiful sky across America.

Well, now it's time to pack. I have not even started. I don't know what to take. Towels? Sheets? Cotton balls and aspirin? I move to my new life in 2 days and am frozen, at times, wondering what to pack, what to leave, what to put in storage. But as a wise friend told me, of course I don't know what to pack. I've never done this before. Well, I'd better get packing or I'll be stuck here another 27 years.

8 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Blogger Leesa said...

What a great post :)

And my animals have you all fooled. They're not always that sweet :P

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Marianna said...

HEY! You got all the animal names right! I don't see any name tags, either, so that's a good thing... LOL

Start packing. Maybe you'll motivate me to do the same.

M~

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Such a wonderful post my friend. I too feel much the same as you. I posted a comment on Leesa's to her most recent post today but...it disappeared. Maybe that is a good thing 'cause I got kinda mushy at the end.
So many vignettes are burned forever in my mind. As if I could move away from my corporeal body and be instantly transported back into the moment etched in my mind and my soul.
I chuckle reading your/our description of the journey back. Other than your obvious delight with the snow...I thought it was pure torture for you. Either I was mistaken or you are good at forgetting the discomfort of sitting in a SUV for over 18hrs!!
I would repeat the entire saga...start to finish again, in a flash. I couldn't have picked a better companion. I'm glad it did a body good to get you out of your life for a week. I trusted my instincts and I guess I was right. Thank goodness you trusted yours too.
Hugs and kisses,
♥Pam

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Haleigh Anne said...

Have you ever read The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood? It is a great book and I highly recommend it. This trip and your Ya-Ya sisters (Leesa and Pam) were what you needed to make the next step in your life. I am glad you found the strength to do it.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am leaving this with you here because I don't have your direct address. You can copy your bookmarks in one easy swoop!

Copy the "Favorites" folder, if you are using win98, it's in the C:/Windows folder

if you are using XP, it's in the C:\Documents and Settings\YourLOGON

Do a straight copy and paste from one computer to the other. Oh, I am assuming that you are using IE and windows. Firefox is pretty easy too... it's what I use.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Nature Girl said...

FAB post Ellen! Just FAB! I'm so glad you had a good time. Hope your move is going well...Thinking about you. Stacie

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger ~grey said...

excellent post my friend....

sounds like a sucessful trip!

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Im A Foto Nut said...

Shit, I suppose I am not the only friggin one that hasn't met Leesa! Geeze am I jellous you go to do so at HER HOUSE!

:o)

I told M this would have to do for her, and it will have to do for you. I didn't smile in my wedding photos either. LOL That's not a joke, I didn't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home