Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Font size and stalking

I am so pissed right now. People say that computers do not have a soul, a being, vengenance. Those people would be wrong. I was MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS when I was forwarding an e-mail and clicked on "insert addresses." All of a sudden the addresses came up tiny tiny tiny. 4 pt, maybe 6 point. (I'm an old yearbook teacher so I know point size.) I am squinting and can't read my addresses, clicking on who I think would like that particular e-mail. (I am very good about making sure political e-mails go to political friends, religious e-mails go to church friends, education e-mails go to teacher friends and so on. I take a lot of care in forwarding, believe it or not. Maybe too much.) So there I was MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS and after inserting the addresses and clicking send, EVERYTHING was tiny. My folders, my addresses, my yahoo page, my news articles. Everything. And I have tried everything to correct the problem.

Where does my computer get off screwing me over? I have been good to it. I have caressed it, paid attention to it. Fed it. Even played games with it just to make it happy. I never ignore it. I even enjoy learning new things with it. And this is how it treats me??? I'm ready to ground the little fucker. I wander what computers do to owners who mistreat them, don't dust them, eat over them, peck them with 2 fingers instead of the 6 I use. I just don't deserve this.

On another subject, I may have to change my tagline soon, but I am NOT getting excited. I have an interview on Friday for a really neat job. But I am not getting excited. I answered a tiny (again, with the tiny) ad from Sunday's want ads. I usually don't waste my time on ads that don't give company names, people to address the cover letter to, listings of bennies, etc. But this one caught my attention because it had the words "legal" and "medicine" in it, 2 subjects I am interested in. Before I wrote a cover letter, I like to know who or where I'm writing. So I put the fax number into Google and up popped this website where this fax number can be found. Voila. Gave me a name of a company and the woman behind the company. So I wrote the letter and faxed it.

Monday this woman calls and I recognize her name when she introduces herself to me. She starts off with, "I have been inundated with resumes today," and I'm thinking, in my usual 20 month unemployed way, "This is the big send off, but it's awfully nice of her to call." She said she narrowed down the field to 5 people she wanted to interview, and I'm thinking, in my usual pessimistic, "Forget it, this woman is saying 'Thanks, but no thanks.'" But instead, I was one of the 5 people she was calling for an interview. Already, I am skeptical because I have not had any good news or luck in the last 2 years when it comes to looking for a job. Then she tells me that only 2 of us went to the trouble of finding out her name or the name of her company. Lesson: It pays to stalk. (I don't dare tell this woman that I can find her birth date on the internet! That would just be wrong.) Everyone out there: think positive thoughts, keep me in mind on Friday afternoon, find a voo-doo doll to poke the dolls of the other candidates, dance around a fire. Whatever it takes. Just don't let me get excited. I can't risk that!

P.S. As you can see, I bumped up the font for this entry because all the other entries are tiny tiny tiny. NOT my fault. I didn't do that. The computer hates me. HELP! Anyone? Offer some help!

8 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger Travel Ohio and beyond said...

Good luck Friday! I know the feeling.
Also, if you have some solid newspaper experience with an understanding of community relations and public relations, let me know. Its a chemical company (I think) that needs to maintain a good image in the communities where it is located.
I ran into a fellow yesterday who knows of a pretty high-paying job in Ashtabula, Ohio! Not sure you would want it or, that I could help you get it, but I'd try--if you felt there was a good fit.But,good luck Friday.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Diann said...

Hey Ellen,
Good luck with the interview. Hope it works out the way you want it to. As for computers, hate the damn things, as I spend 80 hours a week at one - have you gone into your 'active desktop'(click start, click settings, click active desktop or control panel, desktop, if you don't show active desktop). Click on customize my desktop and then on the 'appearance' tab. There is a font setting in there that you can change. Try that and see if it works. If you have already done that you are at the limits of my knowledge other than reboot.
Diann

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger steve said...

I really hate it when my font shrinks uncontrollably!

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Travel Ohio and beyond said...

Ellen,
I just ran across your blog. Again, good luck on the morrow.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Redhead Editor said...

I FIXED IT!!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Sarahlynn said...

Good luck this afternoon!

And congrats on fixing your fonts!
I'm always screwing up my font size. Do you have a roller thingie in between the two buttons off your mouse? Do you use it to scroll up and down the screen? If you touch (or think about touching!) the Control key while scrolling with the mouse, you'll roll your font size up and down. Try it. It's fun!

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Redhead Editor said...

So THAT's how it happened! I was thinking about touching my mouse and hitting the control key. So at least I know how it may have happened. You are my computer goddess. I have got to come pick your brain.

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Sarahlynn said...

Yeah, you can tell that I'm a computer whiz by the way I call things by their technical names, like the roller thingie. Heh.

Hope the interview went well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home