Thursday, February 10, 2005

Ash Wednesday and Phillip's organ

Ok, so let me set up this scene. 7PM Ash Wednesday church service. I am altar guild, usher (Don't even think about calling me an usherette.), and lector. I was so confident that the readings would be up on the lectern and enlarged as they always are that I didn't even bring my reading glasses. Remember a few posts back where I confessed that my arms are officially too short, and I must succumb to reading glasses?

Flash forward to after the service where I'm standing in the Narthex with a funny friend (Lucy, you know who you are.), the priest's wife (Hi, Pam!), and the choir director and organist, Phillip. I casually say, "I thought the readings would be on the lectern and enlarged but instead I practically had to read them while sitting on Phillip's organ."

The organ sits behind the lectern by a few feet. It would have been easier to read the readings from way back there since my arms have definitely not grown long enough to read it close up. But I may have to think where I sit or stand when I read from the Bible.

I am going to hell.

5 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So THIS says a lot. It explains Harv's neuroses in the early 1970s. You know, Ellen, at least you didn't come in with a vase of flowers and say, "I need a place for these tulips...Philip, can I place these on your organ...I promise they won't leave a mark..."

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Sassy said...

Didn't you ever hear the joke?

Q: What's better than roses on your piano?

A: Tulips on your organ. >:)

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen, it would seem that you attend a church quite different from any I've ever entered! Bruce

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, what a Freudian slut; and poor Philip, he's probably an innocent, naive gay goy, and doesn't understand how frustrated you really are.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Diann said...

Hi Ellen,
Meet Diann - of who's Diann? fame. We haven't met and may never but I guess we are now officially connected through Steve who I don't know either other than through blogs and a friend who is a friend of his. Got all that? Anyway, I work in a church and loved this blog - too funny. Hope Phillip thought so too. Unless he's an innocent, naive, gay guy, or is it goy? Thanks for the laugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home