Monday, October 08, 2007

The difference a year makes


This is me a year ago driving back from Montana with Pam. Those aren't cows in the background. Those are buffalo. Work with me. I had just spent a week in the mountains of Montana at Leesa's and communing with nature. Ahhh, hell, I sat in a hot tub and drank wine for a week. Same diff. It snowed on that Monday as we drove through Vail and Aspen. I came back to St. Louis, bought this laptop and packed up to leave my husband.

Fast forward 365 days and it was 90 degrees in Missouri this weekend. Here I am at my 50th birthday celebration. More importantly, I am single and 60 lbs lighter and a whole lot happier. Well, that could be because I'm in love, but it could be a myriad of things that contribute to that sheer happiness. I have a dream job but no permanent place to live because my house still hasn't sold. But what is permanent? I keep reminding myself, through the financial burden and worry of the house, how happy I am. Check out that party photo. For those of you in bloggy world who couldn't stop by, I managed to set that feather boa on fire and expose my left breast, both accidentally and neither alcohol induced. Yes, that is a glass of champagne in my hand but that was all I had the entire evening. Which is scary when you think about it. I can start a fire and flash my boob without alcohol? God only knows what could happen if I were drinking.

I adore you all for being along for the ride, being there with me during this year. I sure won't forget it... well, at 50, I may forget it. But always know it was life altering.

13 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's been fun!! I hope you keep getting better and better!

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Sailor said...

wonderful, and I'm so glad you had fun- even if you did start things on fire! I'm glad you are happier now, "ain't love grand?"

D

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Osbasso said...

I don't believe I heard the flashing story. You crazy younger people...

Glad I was one of the many to help contribute to your year!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Marianna said...

You look a-freakin-mazing 60 pounds skinnier!

Congratulations!
M~

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Kitty said...

Happy Birthday Baby!

I can't believe it's been a year since I found your blog, even though I always don't comment, I'm reading and waiting for that boa to bare all! *wink*

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger chez bez said...

Both pics are beautiful. Thanks for sharing your happiness and beauty.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Im A Foto Nut said...

Looks like you need a nipple ring like Janet Jackson if you are going around showing off your girly bits all the time.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can start a fire and flash my boob without alcohol? God only knows what could happen if I were drinking.

I see a spike in invitations to parties...

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Hey woman! I was just calling to shoot the breeze..been gone most of the weekend. I'll call you later this week!
~L.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Shephard said...

You look wonderful! :)
Congratulations. I know exactly how that feels. (wink)
~S

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger TC said...

Ellen
here I am, still,lurking in Australia. In your most difficult time this blog appeared to be your best friend, so many entries. You look sensational, I've been telling you for years about the virtues of alcohol, not sure now why you argued. Any plans for your new partener to join you on a trip down under? TC

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger H. Alan Scott said...

that 2nd photo of u is cute.

hope you're well.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Ronjazz said...

I have observed from afar for a while now. Just wanted to say happy birthday...I do that woman in that picture anytime, young lady!....:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home