Monday, August 06, 2007

Let the Games Begin or Is it a coincidence that two wonderful funny redheads were born on the same day???



As of 10:23 tonight, I am officially 50 years old. Same day as Lucille Ball's birthday (and Alfred Lord Tennyson and Punky Brewster). Unlike some other people I am thrilled to be 50. Since I am the youngest of 4 sisters, I have always felt young. That happens when 2 of my sisters are in their 60s! (Don't tell them I said that.) So this weekend was a mix of wonderfulness and horribleness. On the bad side, I had to go back home and clean my house that was a total disaster. No wonder it's not selling. But on the wonderful side, I spent it with friends and family and was showered with wonderful food and gifts. (Well, showered with gifts. I ate the food.)

I got an Ariel doll (since I'm a redheaded swimming fool) and a beautiful sarong (for the boat), bunny slippers with foot lotion, and a "menopause" pin from my former co-workers. My sisters got me a book, a ruler with the 1957 Cardinals' schedule, a Heinz 57 cookbook, a recipe collection from 1957, a pair of 50s socks, and a funny hat that says "Look who's 50." Plus, a beautiful green Austrian crystal necklace. My favorite gift (had a little "O") was a photo box filled with 50 all-occasion cards. If you know me even just a little bit, you will know how excited I was to get this present and go through each and every card.

It took me 30 minutes to free Ariel from her plastic prison, but I did it. I was never allowed to have Barbie dolls as a child so this is my first such "toy." Do not give me any crap for this. I was fine with the edict from my mother and didn't let my daughters have that insipid skinny bitch for a toy either. But this came with a kick ass hair brush, so I put her hair up immediately cuz it's like 100 degrees in Missouri in August. To think, trapping her in the plastic must have allowed 10 Taiwanese women more work at 50 cents an hour. Here she is in the shower (where she lives since she is, after all, a mermaid). Where is Leesa when I need her? It's not easy taking a picture of an inanimate object in the bathroom. But I am thrilled to have a redheaded role model that I never had as a child. Thanks Sandy!

My favorite card so far is from one of my sisters. The man in the cartoon says, "What do you want for your birthday present?" and the woman answers, "A divorce." And he says, "I wasn't thinking of spending that much!" Too funny. Also if you know me, you know I celebrate the entire month of August so no one is ever late with greetings. This year, my big party is the week after Labor Day so I am celebrating up through and including Sept 8th.

Let the games begin.

Labels:

18 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, Blogger Marianna said...

Happy Birthday, Ellen! You look really good!

Have a wonderful day!
:)
M~

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Laura said...

You look great, woman!!!

Happy Birthday. If we were going to eat at Chevy's they'd make you wear a sombrero and count down the happy birthday song in Espanol.

I might just mail you a sombrero.
~L.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger chez bez said...

Big happy birth(month) to you!

your fan who is only a young 37,

Mike

;)

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Sailor said...

Happy Birthday!

I hope your month-long celebration is as fun as your first instance!

Hugs,
Dave

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Michael said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

you are FAR, FAR... FAR.

Take Care
Michael

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Osbasso said...

I guess I have to be nice in wishing you a happy bday, since you'll throw it in my face that you're a younger 50 than me! Forgot to do your post. Off to do that now!

Happy Birthday, Red!

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Shephard said...

You DO look fabulous!
Happy Happy Happy Birthday to my fellow Leo!

~S :)

 
At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday ! I shall be 59 on August 21st. :-)

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger ~grey said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHICK!!!

You look Fab!

Enjoy your month long celebration!

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You make 50 look HOT!!! Raow!

and I love the whole "57" theme!

Glad that you have a birthday month and that I wasn't belated in the celebration!

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Angela said...

You? Do not look a day over 37. (And I only say that because I'm 37...) You look great, and I'm so glad to hear that you had such a wonderful birthday!

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Semi-Celibate Man said...

Happy Birthday Ellen! Look at that great smile. :)

Saw you over at Os's HNT. Had to say hi.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Im A Foto Nut said...

Happy birthday, just remember Oprah says, 50 is the new 30. I think she said that about the time she turned 50, but hell she can say it when she looks that good. Speaking of which you look wonderful have you lost weight?

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Judith Kaufman said...

Happy Birthday 2 U!

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Kitty said...

Happy belated birthday!

I wish I had some where to wear a sarong!

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger TeacherinHeels said...

Hope it was wonderful my fellow date of birth friend! I have decided I need glasses .... this whole time I thought your profile pic was something completely different .... silly me!

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

Happy (very late)Birthday!!! Sounds like it was a wonderful one!!
Love your pic!!!

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Bob said...

Belated happy birthday. You're well preserved (not that 50 is old but no doubt you've seen other folks younger than you that look like 80 plus) and most attractive. Whatever you're doing it's working.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home