Sunday, May 20, 2007

One more new thing...


Today I took my first swimming lesson. I am almost 50 and have made it this far without knowing how to swim. Not my fault. Poor kid. No car. Lived too far away from the only pool in town. Never learned. Made sure the kids did, but I never did learn. But no more. I will not turn 50 and not know how to swim.

A week from now I will be on a boat in the middle of water. There will be no swimming because it's too cold, but you never know if I have to save my life one day so I am learning how to swim. I am nothing if not responsible.

Divorce hearing on Tuesday. Just the beginning, not the ending. It will end when I lose 1/2 of everything and he gains 1/2 of my 401K and pension. I have to accept that as the outcome. So much for staying together "for the kids."

Both girls are leaving for Maine this summer. So much for moving to be close to the girls. I am moving (again) in a week, to my daughter's apartment, living alone while I anxiously await the sale of our house so I can buy/rent something on my own. Until then, I remain a gypsy. I think if I add one more new thing to my life this week, my head will surely explode.

I'm still learning at my job and not feeling real competent there either. This turning 50 is not for wimps. Part of me wishes my vacation this weekend was reading a book in bed, curled up in a ball, watching tv when I tire of reading. Part of me is so excited for this new experience on the horizon. The other part of me wants to puke. Ok, so that's 3 halves. I never claimed to be good at math.

Wish me luck.

5 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger Marianna said...

Hey, at least ya didn't drown!

:)
M~

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You made it! But did you actually put your face underwater?

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger ~grey said...

OMG!!! Learning how to swim... you brave soul!!!

I am terrified of the water. Well... just of me being in water that goes over my head. If my head stays out... I am fine.

WAY TO GO!!!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger JennyO said...

What an endeavor! I have so many things I've never learned to do that I should do now. I'm also finally free at last. It's been a long journey but I feel renewed. Maybe I should get out my list of "should have learned" and start working on it. Maybe I should learn to skydive, ha!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I. Love. It.

I am imagining you cutting through the water, confident with every stride...

Go get 'em.
:)
~L.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home