Monday, March 07, 2005

My first day back at work after a long time away

Ok, let's be honest. No one would work if they didn't have to. I have always worked. I worked during high school even if it was babysitting. I had a work study job during college and went into work at 7:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays when many dorm friends were sleeping in. I worked during the summers. I taught summer school. I put my kids in day care when they were newborns so I could go back to work, not because I wanted to, but because I HAD to. But I told myself that I would work even if I didn't have to because it was who I was.

And then I was off work for almost 2 years, freelancing, of course, but doing so at my own pace, and I have to come to the realization, after only 1 day, that I really liked not waking up at a certain time, being some place at a certain time, not answering to anyone, not wearing shoes, having my hair in a pony tail, not wearing make-up, going to lunch when I wanted with whom I wanted, watching "Matlock" day after day after day. I managed to wake up this morning on time. Didn't make it to exercise, but I did wake up on time, but it sucks. Truly sucks. Who invented the concept of waking up at a decent hour and getting dressed to greet the world?

The job truly is perfect for me. Don't get me wrong. But it would have been more perfect had I started it a month after a respite from work, not 2 years. I am not convinced my brain can take in this much information. Sure, if I were 25, I would be at the top of my game, even 35. But 47 is a bit old to expect someone to except new information. New abbreviations, new ideas. Words escape me. I'm not even sure I am going to figure out how to answer the goddamn phone! When did they get so complicated? Did someone come in and complicate the phone system of American in 2004 while I was freelancing? Wireless this, wireless that. I felt like such an idiot. How do people do this?

Working in someone's home made me realize I can never take a dump during the 9 to 5 hours ever again.

3 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Blogger steve said...

Welcome to my world.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Diann said...

Isn't he comforting? I promise you it will get better or you will get used to it and yes you will learn the language. To me the worst part of all is wearing shoes - UGH.

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen
We’ve never met but some how I feel as if we are kindred souls. We do both love Stevie! Work will get better; eventually you’ll get numb to the daily routine and the part that is mindless. On good days, I come home feeling like a made a difference -- someone’s life is a little bit better and on bad days, well, I just come home hoping I didn’t screw up. I’m still searching for the perfect job – the one that that fills the soul.
Lana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home