Wednesday, June 08, 2005

A new modem

My modem died last Thursday. (Memorial service time to be announced later.) After several attempts and gasping for help, I finally called the SBC people. They sent out a phone geek (at my expense) on Friday to tell me that my modem died (so the service call was free). I have been checking my e-mail at the local library and a friend's house. I have not written people lengthy reply messages and realize how attached I am to this machine and my e-mail. I have missed reading my friends' blogs. I have missed playing games other than solitaire (free cell, spider, and regular) and Snood. I am definitely addicted, and I will admit it. So I'm back.

I continue to freelance. Mabel continues to drive me nuts as much as I adore her. She and I are best friends who grate on each other's nerves. We do better knowing she is leaving soon. She returned from Greece last Friday and will be leaving for Maine next Wednesday, none too soon. We have been shopping a bit which always calms the wild beast in her, and she does have a boyfriend who occupies her time, thank God. Dorothy finished school and is babysitting for the same child she watched last summer. She and the hubby leave Sunday for their mission trip in Indiana. That's 3 days with just Mabel and then I have 2 days alone. (happy dance) The 3 of us went to see "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" tonight. It was a great movie for us to bond over even if Mabel didn't shed a tear while Dorothy and I cried.

I have been getting up a decent time (9?) and exercising sporadically but exercising nonetheless. I even proofed a brief for a lawyer friend. Typed a few letters for a real estate friend. (Actually I'm friends with his wife and can't stand him but do work for him so he won't bother her.) So I'm staying busy but nothing earth-shatteringly exciting. I am working on my neighbor's retirement party, sending out invitations, taking tee-shirt orders, collecting money. I love that my freelance schedule allows me to participate (volunteer) in other activities.

6 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger Sassy said...

welcome back! although, I have to admit that I at first read the sentence, "My modem died" as "My mom died." so I was slightly horrified for about 20 seconds. Glad you're back to the blog though, and keeping busy in life. :)

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Diann said...

I can totally relate to that happy dance when everyone leaves! As much as I love em all it sure is nice to dance to my own rhythm once in a while. I also thought it read "mom." Took me a minute to get my breath back, glad it was only the modem!

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Redhead Editor said...

Dear me... ladies, my mom has been dead for 9 years. I rarely saw her, we never got along, she neglected me for most of my life, never remembered my birthday or said she loved me. Losing my modem for 5 days was far more traumatic. God, I sound heartless, but I just want to put you at ease. Plus, when your modem dies, you can get a new one. When you're dealt a lousy mom, you're stuck with her. Years of therapy bills. But the good news is "I'm feeling much better." Thanks for your concerns!

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger steve said...

Will you adopt me and send me to camp in Maine? I could do with a little self esteem building.

I can mow lawns, am a pretty damed good plumber, and can make balloon animals.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Redhead Editor said...

Believe it or not, Steve, they would probably hire you. They hire a photographer to take pictures of these rich girls for their website so their parents can buy them and pretend they spent time together. It would be the perfect job for you... taking pictures of little rich athletic girls in sport bras.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Leesa said...

I'm addicted to my computer too. I can't even imagine how I passed the time before blogging!! I'm so thankful I found it since I spend most of my time alone, it has given me some entertainment and new friends.
I just about die when there is a problem with my computer OR we lose power for more than an hour. Isn't that crazy???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home