Wednesday, April 27, 2005

I have to quit my job, don't I?

The more I think about it the more I realize I have to quit my job. 20 years ago I quit my teaching job without a job, and that was the scariest thing I ever did. I was 28 years old, and we rented a house for $400. I had no concept of insurance and knew I could find another job at the low salary ($17,000) I was making as a teacher. Naive. Now I am older, so much wiser, scared, nervous, angry, hurt, mixed up, disillusioned. My mortgage has more than doubled. We have a car payment, car insurance for 4 and are desperately in need of health insurance. But at the measly salary I am making, I can't afford to work and pay for gas any more, can I? Help me out here. With one whining blog and one panicked e-mail, I have 2 freelance jobs that will pay me more this weekend than I can make in a month at my present job. So do I take the risk and quit? If so, that means I have to go into work Monday and give my two-week's notice. I really don't have a problem with my job otherwise or the boss. I admire her courage and strength to start a business, move it to an office building instead of her house, and hire 10 people full time to work for her and run a paper. But if I'd had any idea that I would be working for this salary and not able to afford the group health insurance she offers WHILE VACUUMING ON TUESDAYS, I would have never taken the job. Did you read that? I don't even vacuum at home, and I have to vacuum on Tuesdays at this job. What the hell is that?

So now I have to get the kahunas to face my boss and explain that this job is not to my advantage because of the lack of benefits. I am a chicken shit. This is just not working for me, is it? Back me up, blog friends. Am I doing the right thing? I would be more scared if I was giving up great benefits, but I'm not. I'm giving up filling up my car with gas and buying expensive lunches in "the valley." And I'm giving up VACUUMING!

11 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger Leesa said...

I agree with you. It's like my friend in TX who worked so she could pay for daycare. She earned just enough to pay for it. So why not stay home?
Benefits are important too. Everyone should have health insurance.
I understand completely.
I do know though how scary it is to want to quit a job without a prospect in line. But, sometimes you just gotta do, what ya gotta do!
I would chat online tonight, but my back is killin' me and so is this chair!! Darn gardening!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger steve said...

I understand the chicken-shit part. But, if you can keep the wolves at bay doing freelance work, go for it!

Talking to your future ex-boss is like going to the dentist. The sooner you do it the sooner it's over. You can borrow my cajones any time!

Re: oneofthehoipoloi - I have been real busy lately and have misplaced my muse. I'll be back.

 
At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quit vacuming and start freelancing again. Use the talents that earn you more money; not the ones that don't.

Something else will come along. Hopefully something in Publishing.

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are unhappy at the job, then quit. But quit when it makes sense to quit.

Work the two free lance jobs this weekend - start building a network of business relationships, THEN quit. At least you'll have a goal to work toward.

Love and hugs from your DE contacts!!

 
At 2:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen love, I think you must follow your intuition. What you really feel inside is that you're wasting your time doing a job that's OK but not worth the cash you earn. Feeling undervalued is the worst emotion in the world. You are a clever lady, and worth much more and you can obviously earn more freelancing. Build up your business contacts and chase more of that and wait for something that suits you better. You have managed for so long and if you feel you can manage again, even with the health insurance worry,(glad we don't have to worry about health insurance here in the UK!)go for job satisfaction and more self-esteem. You won't get that vacuuming every Tuesday. Get outa there girl !! Just be honest with the boss - she's a woman - she should understand.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Diann said...

hey Ellen,
Ya know sometimes life just sucks doesn't it?! I say go for the money which you need and keep trying to find opportunities, they will come. My husband and I are paying health insurance for the first time in our lives and it is a big expense so I know how panicky this all feels. Take a breath, tell the boss, draw a hot bath, and tomorrow is a new beginning.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Diann said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Sassy said...

Hey Ellen. I think if you're not getting adequate benefits and you were getting along just fine while not even working there, then you should definitely put in your two weeks' notice. It sounds like your job would be great for someone who is retired and bored (and already on a fixed income). You deserve something better. Also, there is no motivation for finding a better job than not having one at all, trust me! :) sorry I haven't commented in a while, I've been a bad blogger and a bad blog-friend. Good luck to you!

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Sarahlynn said...

Hey, Ellen, how are you doing?

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Redhead Editor said...

Doing well. I quit the job and the ex-boss gave me my last day off so I didn't have to drive on Friday the 13th! Now I am committed to this freelance life so I can stay closer to home. Thanks for asking, Sarahlynn.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Diann said...

Hey Ellen,
Glad to hear you quit. Hope you are feeling ok about it and getting on with the next step. Nice boss to give you Friday the 13th off :)

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home